Under Construction

We are university students researching the effects of multi-tasking technology on todays tweens through twenties generation! Please leave us a comment if you are interested in our efforts, have insights, or subscribe to our posts by email so you can follow and contribute to our research! We hope you will join us and point us in the direction of interesting academic work being done in this multi-tech-tasking matter! Thanks for blogging by!

Saturday 22 February 2014

The Deadly Side of Technology


 
Do you consider yourself a good driver? I usually do.  I have had a couple speeding tickets, but I have never been in a car accident.  I always use my turn signals, I always check my blind spot, and I try to avoid the crazy drivers around me.  The one thing that could get me in big trouble though is my cell phone.  I often talk on my cell phone and sometimes I even text.

With the growing abilities of cell phones to have texting, games, internet, and almost any app imaginable, there is a growing risk of people using cell phones behind the wheel.  The distraction potential is increasing every time we “take our eyes off the road, our hands off the wheel, and taking our mind off what we are doing”. In 2008 the United States Department of Transportation reported over a half-million people injured and almost six thousand people killed because of distracted driving. (Tarafdar, Gupta, Turel, 2013)  Our use of technology behind the wheel can be a very dangerous thing and many of us have a bias that we are good drivers and that we can multitask with our cell phones.  The scary reality is that we really cannot. 

Many states have been passing laws against texting and driving or driving without a hands free set due to all the accidents and fatalities that have been associated with cell phone use. Texting is very distracting because it takes our eyes off the road, a hand off the wheel, and our mind off our driving.  When I have texted while driving I have seen this and I have had some close calls because of it.

Texting and driving is bad, but is just talking on a cell phone driving really that bad? According to Professor David Strayer at the University of Utah drivers talking on their cell phones “are just as dangerous behind the wheel as drunk drivers.” I am not sure if everyone fits this description that talks and drives, but I have seen plenty of people driving crazy and when I pass them they are talking on their cell phones. (Tarafdar, Gupta, Turel, 2013) 

Cell phones behind while driving can be bad, but it is our choice whether to use them or not. If someone texts me when I am driving I usually try to text at stop lights or I try to just call the person. A good practice would be to not text at all and if we need to make a call make it very short.  Our best practice should probably be no texting while driving and no talking while driving

Tarafdar, M., Gupta, A. and Turel, O. (2013), The dark side of information technology use.

Information Systems Journal, 23: 269–275. doi: 10.1111/isj.12015 Accessed from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.ezproxy.lib.utah.edu/doi/10.1111/isj.12015/full

5 comments:

  1. Great post! It really is becoming such a problem and I wonder how many deaths will happen before the laws change.

    I did see a news article about the red thumbnail - it is suppose to remind people to leave their cell phone alone while driving. A lot of men are painting a red thumb to remind them. And some nail salons are doing the gel nail for people for free as part of the movement. Kind of a cool way to spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post a link to the website! #redthumbreminder

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I see constantly and it scares me! I think the issue is that many people feel confident about their driving that they think they can multi task with being on their phone. Isn't driving by itself a huge risk anyways? I am guilty of talking on my phone while I drive sometimes….it's terrible. I usually just try to keep my phone out of my view while I drive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great topic, texting and driving just don't go together and is not cool at all. I had an experience with it once and I will never ever text and drive again, fortunately I didn't crashed while I was texting but I was very close. I think the major problem is that people think they are very good drivers an underestimate their driving weakness. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a huge issue, and it happens with people of all ages. People dismiss it as "I'm at a red light" or "There's barely anyone on the road". It's sad to say that some people just won't get it until they see the consequences or experience them for themselves, and by that time it's too late. But scare tactics don't always work. What kind of advertisements or ideas would you put out in the world that aren't scare tactics to try and get people to be aware and stop using their phone while driving?

    ReplyDelete

Multi.tech.tasking POLL

Please contribute to our research by answering the following questions! If you have insights or suggestions please leave us a comment on a recent post.

How many hours do you spend on media/technology per day?

What is your age?

Do you use more than one mode of media/technology at a time (multi.tech.tasking)?

Do you use media/technology while studying?

Do you believe that media/technology use while studying is distracting?

Does social media and technology affect interpersonal communication and relationships?